BMCA is an international, not-for-profit membership organization committed to the practice, education, and ongoing development of Body-Mind Centering professional field with a strong belief in the profound effects of its experiential and collaborative process. Our mission includes:
- maintaining high standards of professional competence and excellence;
- supporting research and publication of materials relating to BMC;
- providing resources, information and avenues of communication about BMC;
- improving access to BMC; and
- educating the public.
What is BMCA?
BMCA video created by the BMCA Membership Committee
The Body-Mind Centering Association, Inc. (BMCA) is a creative community of individuals dedicated to exploring, sharing, and expanding the Body-Mind Centering work. Our members live all over the world including the Americas, Europe, the Middle and Far East, and Australia.
BMCA began in 1985 from an intitiative by Ellen Barlow and Sara K. Vogeler. In subsequent years, it was developed into a professional organization through generous hours of volunteerism and financial contributions from practitioners and supporters.
- provides support and services to its members,
- promotes professional development and somatic conferences worldwide,
- publishes a quarterly e-newsletter and an annual journal,
- provides fiscal agency for somatic research grants for members, and
- is the conduit for communciation and dialogue about Body-Mind Centering.
The following values, grounded in principles of Body-Mind Centering, help guide all aspects of our organization:
- Responsiveness with the current world, acknowledging our history;
- Consensus building and collective decision-making;
- Staying in relationship - meeting each person where they are and remembering each others’ aliveness and humanity;
- Collaboration and competence - sharing work and resources;
- Sustainability and self-care;
- Participation in the circle/community - remembering the concentric and converging circles, past and present, local and global, that support us and which we support in return;
- Supporting each others’ visibility, voice, and right to belong;
- Self-awareness, ability and willingness to reflect, to give and receive feedback - utilizing the perceptual-response cycle;
- Clear and responsive boundaries;
- Transparency and accountability;
- Service to and stewardship of the whole.
We are a U.S. based not-for-profit, tax-exempt professional organization. Donations are welcome and deductible to the extent allowable by law.
photos: Rosie Dienhart
Body-Mind Centering professionals have completed rigorous training programs that ensure a safe and consistent experience of the work for students and clients. Only Professional Members of BMCA are authorized to use the BMC name.
To join BMCA and become a Member at the Professional, Associate, Student, Friend, or Institutional level, please fill out the online application.
To Volunteer and bring your passions and interests to BMCA, contact BMCA or visit our volunteer page for more information. BMCA is run almost entirely by volunteers from around the world. Get involved at whatever level works for you!