Exploring Body-Mind Centering: An Anthology of Experience and Method
BMCA published its first book in 2011 through North Atlantic Books. Order your copy now!
About the book
Exploring Body-Mind Centering features 35 essays on Body-Mind Centering (BMC), an experiential practice based on the application of anatomical, physiological, psychophysical, and developmental principles. Using the work of BMC founder Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen as a springboard, the book showcases diverse situations—from medical illness to blocked creativity—in which this discipline is applied with transformative results.
Exploring Body-Mind Centering is divided into four sections, preceded by an introduction framing BMC as a pathway to becoming aware of relationships that exist throughout the body and mind and using that awareness to act.
- Section One lays the groundwork for this process, with real-life experiences and exercises that encourage readers to interact with the text.
- Section Two contains valuable case stories describing the experiences of BMC students and practitioners as they work with clients.
- Section Three shows how BMC can be integrated with other disciplines and practices that include the arts, medicine, and yoga.
- Section Four illuminates the global applications and implications becoming possible through this work.
- The book concludes with a biography of Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, a profile of the School for Body-Mind Centering, and a history of BMCA.
No individual authors have been paid for their work. Proceeds from the sale of this text will benefit BMCA. We encourage you to bring it to the attention of your friends, family, and clients.
Gill Wright Miller is Chair of the Womens Studies Department at Denison University in Granville, OH and a long-time student of BMC.
Pat Ethridge is a licensed acupuncturist and bodyworker who has served on the BMCA Board for fourteen years.
Kate Tarlow Morgan, choreographer, author, and teacher, is the Editor of Currents, the Journal of The Body-Mind Centering Association, and lives in Vermont.